Wednesday 21 November 2012

Meltdown


‘An Object Moves a Space must Change’
The reason for me creating a mobile is to show that when an object moves a space must change in the Displacement of the air in that space.  
For that to happen I need my mobile to be equally suspended on all sides as well as having weightiness. I am adding weight so that with the pull of gravity and the air currents moving around the mobile will rotate rather than just fall to one side, which is what would happen if it was too light.  
To accomplish this I am making attachment pieces for my mobile with some weight in them. I have chosen fibreglass for its weight. 
I want to use colour in these pieces to capture light, so I have taken a picture of the wool I used in my last experimental pieces for its variety of colour. I tried to print this photo onto acetate, so that I would have a transparent image to insert into fibreglass resin. It did not work though, as the printer melted and chewed up the acetate on numerous tries. So instead of having a complete image I ended up with strips of parts of my image.   Even thou it was not what i was looking for, the melting and chewing up of the acetate by the printer created beautiful shapes in its folds and curves. And rather than throwing the acetate out, it would work perfectly by being far more astectically pleasing than if it had worked out. So I used the chewed up pieces instead. 
Below in the photo, what you can see, which I thought was interesting, is my image of my wool instillation on the inside of the printer after I had pulled out the chewed up piece of acetate.  It’s not quite the image I was looking for but it’s really fascinating to see what happens in the printer before its printer and even more so seeing my image captured on the printer rollers. i think it's pretty cool

No comments:

Post a Comment